Tuesday, April 28, 2009

(M)eat dilemma

This is one of the most boring topics at any given time,but it becomes unbearable during Dashain.At every gathering,opposing friends and relatives start putting forward their "views" about animal rights and healthy diets.Even playing cards and flying kites are forgotten in the discussion.
All this leaves me bewildered.It is a simple matter of our own personal wish and desire.Either you eat fish or chicken;or u eat mutter paneer and mushroom.What is their to argue about?It is with this belief that I try to respect vegetarian though I can think extremely unkindly to anyone who tries to convert me or looks down on non-vegetarians as a whole.
My mum is a strict vegetarian who has never even tasted an omelet;my dad is the type who loves cooking,feeding everyone and relishing his own non-veg dishes.So my mum never has to worry whether the meat preparations are tasty or not.That is why a family expects a vegetarian to cook meat for them maddens me-especially as most vegetarians relate such miserable tales about being forced to handle meat even when the sight or smell sickens them.
About few years ago,my sis took to vegetarianism.Soon after,my dad almost completely turned away from meat due to health reasons.That left only me in the family as non-vegetarians.
Sometimes,during moments of reflection,I think I am an insensitive human being who misses out on the heavenly satisfaction that vegetarians must possess.Wanting to verify my emotions,I asked my sister,"Is it like this-you sit down to eat and gruesome images appear before your eyes?Then you remember the pain and sorrow in the world and you can't eat?"She had to stop choking with laughter before she assured it's not like that ,"I don't just feel comfortable,that's all."

No comments: